Friday, May 22, 2009

And here's the more to come

So in the beginning of March, I received my academic package from the academy.

Read Husband-Coached Childbirth.
Outline the entire book point by point with page numbers
Create a list of 20 Questions and Answers from the book.

Read Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way
Complete the enclosed book report form in essay.
Create a list of 20 Questions and Answers from the book.

Read Assistant Coach's Manual
Complete the enclosed book report form in essay.
Create a list of 20 Questions and Answers from the book.

Read the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by LLL
Complete the enclosed book report form in essay.
Create a list of 20 Questions and Answers from the book.

Recommended Reading List:
Children At Birth
Obstetrics Illustrated
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
Metabolic Toxemia of Late Pregnancy
The Birth Book


Reports Due:
Two La Leche League Meetings
Two Hospital Evaulations
Observation of a Bradley Class including a written outline of the class material

Parent Education Survey of all resources and prospective providers in my area.


My goal was to complete all of that in 8 weeks so that I could turn in my academic package at the Orlando Bradley teacher training workshop on April 30. Oh yeah, do all that while being an awesome mother to my then 4 month old baby.

Huh.

I actually had 3 months AFTER the workshop to officially complete the work. But I knew that I wanted my provisional certificate ASAP so I could start teaching this summer. I had heard that if you turned in your package in Orlando, Margie Hathaway would grade it right then. Then she would give you the provisional status at the end of the workshop during a little ceremony. And that meant you are listed on the national Bradley Method directory!

So during my son's naps, between our Nova classes, his twice weekly physical therapy, and mother circle meetings, and in the wee hours of the morning, I completed the above required list. I also read two books from the recommended reading list.

And Andrew would probably say I was still an awesome mommy. Although he did learn how to type on my computer while sitting on my lap. "Oh, no! Andrew what did you just hit?" Thank goodness for the "Undo" button in Word.

The outline of HCC had 11,479 words and 30 pages. That was a monster to complete. But I learned so much by doing it that way. I had read an earlier edition of HCC the previous summer so most of it was a refresher in Dr Bradley's philosophy and method. Now I had a reference tool tool for myself whenever there was a question.

The rest of the package was much less stressful to finish. I admit that I was still printing out my reports and assembling my package two days before the April 30th workshop. Eep!

Next I'll tell you about the workshop and whether I "passed" my academic portion.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Wow Tracy, that is a TON of work! I am so proud of you for getting it all done while being an awesome Mommy to Andrew! :)